What are Your Top Ten Habits?
This year I shook things up in my 2015 goal-setting and used a tool that’s brand new to me: Leonie Dawson’s 2015 “Create your Shining Year” workbook. I’ve used a lot of different planning tools and methodologies over the years – from ones I’ve developed on my own to Danielle LaPorte’s Desire Map – but this one was special.
This year I was looking for something that brought together life and business… in that perpetual and elusive search for balance between the passionate entrepreneur with endless ideas and the earth mama who thrives in domesticity and motherhood. Who better to guide me through the planning process than someone who has found great success in both!
One of the most powerful exercises Leonie has you do is to outline your top most-supportive habits:
What are those things that truly support you to be the person you want to be and to live the life you want to live?
This exercise was a powerful one for me, and has been my go-to when I feel off kilter and need to rebalance regardless of whether I’m working on my business or as a mother/wife.
Here’s my list. What’s in yours?
1. Go to bed by 10pm more nights than not.
2. Hungry? Have a glass of water. Still hungry? Okay, now snack.
3. To support #1, go offline by 9pm. Bonus points for going offline by 8pm.
4. Check inbox 2-3 times a day MAX. Deal with everything when I’m in there. Goal: zero inbox. This is by far the hardest on this list but also one of the most effective for getting the important things done and not whittling away my time spinning my wheels on admin.
5. When uninspired or stuck, do one of the following:
- move my body, preferably outside (runs are particularly effective)
- change my physical location (this can be moving into another room or going to another space entirely, like a coffee shop)
(Like how I snuck in 3-in-1?)
6. Move daily. Doesn’t matter how or how long. Just move.
7. Meditate. Anytime, anywhere, anyhow. Even if it’s counting belly breaths as I’m falling asleep. Sidenote: when I took the pressure off of “how” I meditate, this elusive practice is something I’ve finally been able to incorporate into my life. Don’t let those details get in the way of doing what really supports you!
8. Practice gratitude. Bonus points for writing down what I’m grateful for.
9. Eat superfoods daily.
10. Cleanse regularly. This doesn’t always mean doing a full-blown cleanse – but it does mean keeping those detoxification pathways clear. Here are 7 things I do daily to keep toxins on the fast track OUT of my body. (note: this post was originally written for breastfeeding mamas, but the seven things I share are things EVERYONE should be doing) And yeah, I snuck in a 7-for-1 here. 🙂 What can I say? I like to overachieve.
How do I use these on a daily basis?
It’s one thing to create your list, but another thing altogether to actually USE it.
Do I do ALL of these things every single day? Ugh, heck no!!! I’m nowhere near perfect. And I don’t beat myself up if I do NONE of them in a day. But they are guideposts for those things that support me the most and that I lean on to be my best self.
I keep my list close by and anytime I’m in a funk – feeling stuck, uncreative, blue, frustrated, pissed off, or any other version of less-than-fabulous – I bring it out and see what habit will help the situation. I focus on doing those things I know will keep me moving forward, no matter how shitty the day. And of course, when I’m having a shitty day, I can’t remember what any of those things are – so I refer to my handy dandy list and pick whatever feels right in that moment. And there’s always something that will help.
Basically I know that someone out there who really knows me and what makes me tick (i.e., me) has my back. It’s a pretty cool feeling.
If you’ve not yet done some 2015 planning, it’s not too late. The 2015 Create our Shining Year workbook is an excellent tool any time of the year – and maybe now that we’re out of the honeymoon phase of new year’s resolutions, some planning could be just what the doctor ordered!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only ever recommend or link to a product I have direct experience with and love!
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.